Tuesday, April 03, 2007

I have a what in my eye?

So, as I am sure some of you have heard and some of you havnt I am now considered a medical anomaly. I will give you the short version of the story as I am kind of tired of talking about it not to mention tired of dealing with it all together. :) So, about 2 weeks ago I was getting ready for class and I lost vision in my right eye. It wasnt totally black but looked as if someone splattered black paint all over. It didnt get better after a couple hours so after and ER trip, a trip to an opthalmologist and a retinal specialist I have been diagnosed with a central retinal vein occlusion. Essentially a blood clot in the back of my eye in my retinal vein. They are not sure why this happened as they normally dont see it in people younger than 50-70 years of age. Lucky me. My vision has resolved somewhat and now I just see spots in that eye however, as the days go by my other eye seems to make them disappear if I am using both eyes. Its still annoying and seems like a shadow in my right eye all the time when I am using both eyes but I am thankful that I still have my sight in that eye. I guess most people that present with this condition usually cant even see the big E on the eye chart. The dr.'s think its somehow related to my pregnancy however, they are concerned that I am clotting already so I am now taking a baby aspirin each day to prevent any further clots in my other eye or heaven for bid anywhere else. The Dr.'s say that the best predictor for resolution of the occlusion is vision at onset and they consider me to still have 20/20 vision in that eye since where there are no spots, I still see clearly so I can read the eye chart fairly well. One Dr. said he thinks once I have the baby it will resolve quickly so I am hoping that is the case. I have had my share of up and down days about it considering at first I thought I was going blind in that eye. I am awaiting results of an extensive blood work up since the perinatologist wanted to check for clotting disorders with my blood since this is so rare. We will see what comes of that. I am hoping this was just a freak thing that happened and it will go away and I wont have to worry about it for future pregnancies etc. If it is a clotting disorder I will have to be on meds for life and I will consider this episode somewhat life saving considering if it is a clotting problem I could have clotted arterial and those can dislodge and kill you. I try not to entertain that thought though. Hoping its not a clotting issue and just a random thing. Josh has been amazing, he hasn't missed a Dr. appt yet and we have had lots of them in the last couple weeks. He even bought me a pirate patch for my eye when I was sad that I couldn't use it. I am constantly reminded how lucky I am to have a husband as wonderful as he is. Blessed to say the least. Anywho, that's the short (sort of) of it all. I was a little bummed for a while hence the lack of posts, not to mention I only had one good eye for a while. :) God bless my grandma for never complaining about her one eye. She was such a trooper and I never gave it any thought but now I know how annoying it is to only have one good eye. Feel free to email me with questions. Things are going ok now. Just tyring to get done with school as I fell a little behind due to this and anxiously waiting out these next 10 weeks till we get to meet Tatum! Hope everyone is well.

0 comments:

 
Designed By Birdie and Bella's mom Copyright 2011. All Rights Reserved.