Wednesday, June 10, 2009

A helping Hand

Those of you who know me well know that I have this constant urge to do something that makes a difference. That is why I became a nurse, and while that helps, there is still this overwhelming urge to make things happen for the good of other people. I dont have a ton of extra time but I hate that "time" seems to stop me from doing things that matter. That is why I LOVE this project. I heard about it from a friend, who happens to be the sister of my sister in law and someone who is also a mama who wants to make a difference. The project is called Little Dresses for Africa and they donate home made dresses to little kids in central Africa who dont even have running water, let alone clean clothing. It is so easy. You make the dresses out of pillow cases. If we all got together and made these dresses it would make a child's year. Jesse and her friend are collecting donated pillow cases, new or gently used to make these dresses and I would like to do the same thing. Then we can get a big group together to make the dresses and send them off. So, all you have to do is take a few minutes to go through your closet and take out all the pillow cases you dont use any more. Put them in a pile and then either call or email me. I can pick them up if you are in Az or if you are not in Az, you can mail them to me. Email me for my address. If you are in Az and want to actually do the cutting and sewing, email me and we can find a day to do it! Jesse and I have talked about doing it together so not only can you make a difference some new friends too! Let me know if you are interested. In just a few short minutes, we could all make a child smile. How can you say no to that?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jac-I'm no seamstress or dress maker but if someone showed me how I am sure I could figure it out and would LOVE to help make the dresses. Let me know when you are planning to do it and I will be there with some pillowcases. :)

Great idea to help out!
Stacie

Kaisha said...

No seamstress or dress maker here either but I'd try and figure it out and I'll bring some pillowcases as well!

jenica said...

yay! so happy to see others getting in on the movement.

xoxo

Anonymous said...

What a great cause, Jaclyn! I love your great big heart! I have a ton of pillowcases I was going to take to the thrift store, I'll bring them to you instead. The dresses are so cute!
XXOO,
Mom

Anonymous said...

count me in! this is a great idea and we can certainly try to make them cute :) I bet even Goodwill would have some cute pillowcases that we could pick up ...

 
Designed By Birdie and Bella's mom Copyright 2011. All Rights Reserved.