Tuesday, June 03, 2008

If I had only known....

Famous last words right? When you are pregnant and then when you are a new mom you get tons of unsolicited advice. Some of it helpful, most of it not so much. Over the course of the last couple days due to Tatum turning one I am guessing, people have asked me if I would do anything different and what did I learn over the last year. I was also asked what my best piece of advice was so I figured since more than just one person might be wondering I would share with everyone.
My best piece of advice came from Amanda Roe. I was talking with her about my issues with Tatum not sleeping through the night. She was telling me that it was ok to let her cry. I wasnt really buying it. I felt too bad letting her cry in her bed all alone. I was sure she would hate me and she would not form a secure attachment with me. Amanda said, She will still love you in the morning, even if you let her cry at night. I cant tell you how many times I repeated that to myself while she was in her room crying. I still use that today. Tatum still isnt sleeping through the night but Amanda was right, on the rare occasion that I do let her cry it out, she still loves me in the morning. Thanks Amanda.
What would I do different? Not a whole lot. I really think part of parenting is making mistakes and learning from them. I would definitely let Josh help more at night. I would definitely not put my next baby to bed in a onesie. I was so afraid of Tatum getting overheated since it was summer and suffering from SIDS that I put the poor kid to bed in a onesie. No wonder she would only sleep on me....she was freezing. Live and learn right?
I have learned some things after becoming a mom though that I know I will take with me down the road. After becoming a mom you learn lots of things and still wonder about even more. You realize the value of sleep. You learn what real exhaustion is. You learn what unconditional love TRULY feels like. You learn who your REAL friends are. You learn to ask for help. You realize that it really does take a village. You still wonder how such a little thing can create so much laundry. You wonder how you manage to function on such small amounts of rest. You have to learn to still be yourself but just a different version of who you were. You learn that relationships take more work than they used to. You learn to eat dinner at 5:00 if you want to enjoy it. You learn that you have to be able to have time to yourself. You learn to let the little things excite you. You learn how important family is. You realize that if anyone ever hurt that baby you could be capable of hurting someone. You learn that you do what is right for you, not for everyone else but for you and your family. Most of all you realize that you now have to be a role model. You now have to be the best version of yourself. It is strange to learn all these things. Its an amazing feeling being a mom. I know I will never have it all figured out but I sure am willing to try to at least get some of it figured out. I will make mistakes and thats ok. I am just hoping that I raise a happy, healthy and loving child. Isnt that all I can really ask for? Anything else is just a bonus.

9 comments:

Kim said...

Well, since I am not yet a mommy myself, I can't really offer any advice to you, but I must say, I think you are doing a pretty darn good job on your own! I am so impressed with what good Mommy's you and Amanda are and continue to be. You guys make it look so easy! Can't wait to call you girls for advice :)

Mia said...

Aw, thanks for the shout out but I can't take credit for it...someone gave the same advice to me.

Great job on your first year, Jaclyn!

Mom/Grammie P said...

Well said. I think you expressed what all of us mothers think and feel... no matter what stage of motherhood we are in. Once you enter into motherhood ... it is the journey of a life time. Stretch your arms out and embrace it with all that you have in you :)
xoxox
Goonie

Unknown said...

Once again you have summed up all my feelings perfectly! I agree 100% with all of that. Congrats on getting through year one of a lifetime. :-)

Anonymous said...

That was really sweet...I love reading your thoughts about being a mom and about your love for Tatum. It makes me so excited to be a mom someday and it will be so nice to call you for advice. :) You have done such a wonderful job and I am so proud of you Jac.

xoxo
Stacie

Anonymous said...

wow jaclyn i think you have learned more about being a mom in one year than i have in 19 years!! with such great insight at such an early age i don't think you will need much advice--follow your heart and realize noone else can walk in your mocassins but you!! xo auntie kathy

Kaisha said...

You are so good at writing stuff out Jac! You have done an amazing job being a mommy to Tatum b/c she is this wonderful little girl that everyone can't help but love! WTG mommy!

Christa said...

I love it. I love your heart. You have done a fab job and give great advice! I am lucky to have you as a friend.

Anonymous said...

When you write your thoughts and feelings, and talk about your incredible love for your baby girl, you make me cry. You're an amazing mother to an amazing little girl. I love you both so much.
XXOO,
Mom

 
Designed By Birdie and Bella's mom Copyright 2011. All Rights Reserved.